Winter is just around the corner, and if you haven’t yet taken the steps to prepare your home then it is way past time to start. Can your roof keep you sheltered and warm in the coming months? Will you need the services of one of several professional roofing companies? Charleston, SC is known for its mild winters, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry. To help you along, here’s a quick winter checklist:
- Check and replace the weatherstripping around your windows and doorframes as necessary. Preventing heat loss is a great way to save on heating bills in the winter.
- Similarly, check areas near your windows and doors for drafts. Apply caulking both inside and out to seal in the heat.
- Have you put up your storm doors and windows yet?
- Have you checked your windows for cracks, broken glass, or gaps? Now is the time to get those fixed.
- Inspect your window frames for signs of rot and/or decay.
- Check your roof for missing, damaged, or deformed shingles. Roofing companies in Charleston SC can be hired to check your roof out for you. Make sure to fix any leaks you find.
- Make sure your home’s walls and attic are adequately insulated.
- Inspect the flashing on your roof for signs of damage. Addressing any problems you find here will prevent leaks later on.
- While you’re at it, inspect your chimney and flue to make sure they’re in working order.
- Clean your gutters and make sure they’re free of blockages.
- Check that all vents and openings are properly covered to prevent birds, insects, and small animals from nesting in them. Make sure your soffits and fascia are free of rot.
While this is hardly an exhaustive list of the preparations necessary to prepare your home for winter, this is a good start towards getting the job done. With these tasks out of the way, you can check to see what else you’ve missed. Hopefully, you’ll then be able to relax and look forward to a problem-free winter.