Firefighters are some of the bravest men and women in the country, but in October the entire Woodruff Fire Department was sent packing due to an unlikely culprit—molds. GoUpstate.com reports that:
- The Woodruff Fire Department headquarters on Armory Drive has been relocated after mold was found in the building.
- Woodruff City Manager Stephanie Tillerson said mold was detected on a door in the building, and she asked an environmental inspector to assess the situation […]
- Fire Chief Wade Godfrey said mold was visible in several places, and the problem stems from a leaky roof in the 70-year-old building.
- “Basically, the decision was made to relocate the fire department to a building the city already owned to give council some time to weigh their options,” Godfrey said, adding the department could be in its temporary location through next spring.
As the piece mentions, the infestation was attributed to a leaky roof, which contributes to the damp and humid environment in which molds thrive. Far from being just a nuisance, molds are a serious health threat to humans as they can trigger respiratory problems as well as allergic reactions. As such, it is vital to ensure sound roofing in Charlotte, NC establishments to keep out these troublesome fungi.
CMS Roofing, LLC, a leading Charlotte roofing contractor, recommends that homes, businesses, and state offices have their roofs inspected annually to spot and repair leak sources immediately. After all, mold infestation is not the only risk that comes with leaky roofs—they can also become fire, electrocution, and slip hazards. With regular maintenance and inspection, sickness, injury, and loss of productivity due to a leaky roof can all be prevented.
(Article Information and Image from Woodruff Fire Department headquarters relocated because of mold, GoUpstate.com, October 28, 2013)