Like many things, your roof will eventually deteriorate. Although a visual inspection may be all you need to detect any issues, the problem is that not finding any may simply mean that the damage isn’t serious enough to be visible yet. An opinion from professional roofing contractors in Columbia, SC, is the only way to be sure. In the meantime, here are the main things to look out for when verifying the status of your roof.
- Cracked, torn, worn or missing shingles. Cracks, tears and other visible damage to your shingles should tell you that if your roof hasn’t already failed, its time is short.
- Loose or worn flashing around chimneys, vents, pipes and other penetrations. Gaps around sheet metal flashing and rubber pipe boots are prime locations for water to enter.
- Excessive amounts of shingle granules in your gutters. This indicates that your shingles are approaching the limit of their serviceable lifetime and need to be replaced.
- Blocked gutters. Clogs in your roof’s drainage system can lead to water buildup, increasing the chances of water seeping through your roof.
- Damage to downspouts and gutters. Check to make sure these are securely attached to your roof and free of debris.
- Sagging areas in the roof deck. Indicates weakened infrastructure, either due to the weight of water or water penetrating into the supports.
- Dark spots in the walls, visible signs of leaking or water damage. All of these are indicators that water has penetrated into your walls.
If you notice any issues with your roof and need them fixed immediately, the best thing to do is to call CMS Roofing, one of the leading roofing companies in Charleston, SC. We have all the proper training and experience to take care of your roofing problems in no time. For more about our company, products and services, just give us a call at (877) 425-4121 or browse through our website.